Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hostage Situation

You probably won't hear about this on the news, so here's your insider scoop on a hostage situation that took place today in the city of East Grand Rapids.

A woman in her early thirties was held in her home today, unable to leave the house or place phone calls. An unidentified man, known only as "The Washing Machine Repair Man" was never actually seen on the premises, but the woman claims his promised arrival essentially amounted to a hostage situation. "He said he would call before coming, so I jumped every time the phone rang. I had to quickly get other callers off the line, so I could take his call. I couldn't even go to the office, because what if he called? What if he came to the house, and no one was here? I felt as trapped as if he were standing at the door, blocking my exit."

She finally took a risk, and put an end to her hostage status this afternoon around 4:30. Hoping "TWMRM" wouldn't notice, she drove to work and the grocery store, hurrying back quickly in case the anticipated call had come. Fortunately, the only missed phone call was from her sister.

This isn't the first time such an incident has occurred, but she hopes it will be the last. "The only thing worse than doing laundry is being unable to do it when needed."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This hostage situation sounds vaguely familiar!
So, did he ever show? Today? Next week? Next month? (Which IS next week???)

Glad I didn't call on Tuesday!

Well, I need to go downstairs and do some laundry ...
Love,
Mom

karen said...

I can totally relate! What a pain in the butt to have to be kept hostage in your own home all day. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Kath said...

This is reminiscent of my earliest blog posts (remember DTE?), but much better written. At least you have a whole week to roam freely before being held hostage again.