Friday, September 14, 2007

Beach Bum

I walked Kira to school today and continued walking for about a mile before coming back home. The morning was beautiful! Crisp air, blue skies with a few clouds, and a nice breeze carrying the scent of rain. When I got home, I did some housework, then hopped in the car for a quick trip over to Holland State Park. WOW!! The waves were all over the place, about 4 feet high and rolling along the pier and crashing into the rocks. And the rain had damped down the sand, so I could enjoy the stiff breeze without getting my face sandblasted.

I found a nice out of the way spot on the pier and read through my Bible study. We're studying how to live a balanced life, and how hard to achieve that seems to moms. But, as I sat on the pier at the beach on a perfect fall day, listening to the waves and getting splashed occasionally, I got a taste of what it means. To live and experience God's creation, to know that other commitments could wait, and just BE.

Of course, it couldn't last forever. Maybe that's part of balance, too. Taking time to enjoy those moments that we know can't last forever. Making room in our life for small, fleeting experiences that feed our spirit. Even though I could only stay 25 minutes, it was worth it!

No comments: